Village Of Stewart Manor

Clerk's Office

Village of Stewart Manor
120 Covert Avenue
Stewart Manor, NY 11530
The Village Hall Offices are home to the Clerk's Office as well as the Village Justice Court.  The Village staff is available to assist you either in person or over the phone, Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.  Please contact the staff for any Village related questions or problems.
Hours of Operation:
9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday
Rosemarie A Biehayn ()
Phone: 516-354-1800
Tara Dean ()
Phone: 516-354-1800
Michael Berger ()
Phone: 516-354-1800
What are the Village Hall Office Hours?
The Village Hall is open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., except holidays.
I have an issue with the tree in front of my home that needs to be addressed, who do I call?
Many of the trees located on the strip of grass between the street and sidewalk, or many of the trees located within the first few feet of your lawn, belong to the Village.  Please call the Village Hall at 516-354-1800 to report any such tree that needs trimming, pruning, has dead branches or you believe may be dying.  The tree will be evaluated to see if it is a Village tree and then evaluated to see what/if any work needs to be completed.
What if my trees have branches that are overlapping/tangled up with/hanging on the electrical wires?

You need to call LIPA Tree Trim at 516-792-7131 to report any branch that is located on/near the wires.  LIPA will trim these branches.

What should I do if a tree root is damaging the sidewalk?

The Village is not responsible for the maintenance of the sidewalks in the Village, it is the homeowners' responsibility as per the Village code.  If a sidewalk needs to be replaced, you would need to obtain a sidewalk permit from the Village Hall.  The Village will not remove trees because it appears that the roots have damaged the sidewalk.  If the sidewalk  in question does not belong to you, you may contact the Village Hall to have the building inspector investigate.

Who do I call if I have questions about utilities like water, electricity or gas?

If you have any questions regarding water (dirty water, no water) please call the Water Authority of Western Nassau County at 516-327-4100.


If you have questions regarding electricity or gas please call your utility company.

PSEGLI emergency: 1-800-490-0075

National Grid emergency: 1-800-490-0045


Who should I call to report a problem with a street light?
To report any street light problems please call Village Hall at 516-354-1800. Village Hall will then contact our outside contractor to repair/replace light. This can take as much as two weeks.
How long can I park on the streets in the Village?
If there are no signs indicating otherwise, there is a four hour parking limit on all streets in the Village.  However, you should examine the signs closely as some streets may not allow parking at all, may not allow parking during certain hours, or may restrict parking to two hours.  There is no overnight parking (2 a.m. to 6 a.m.) on the streets of the Village without an overnight parking permit (the excpetion is at the metered spots).  The time limit for parking meter use is .25 cents for 1/2 hour and meters are in effect from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.  Most meters will accept only two hours worth of parking at a time (four quarters), although there are some twelve hour meters in the municipal lot and on Stewart Court. Parking meters will only take quarters.  
Who do I contact if my property was stolen/vandalized?
For stolen/vandalized property please call 911.  After filing a police report, if you choose, please feel free to notify the Village Hall.
Please fill out this form and bring it to Village Hall to review any Village records.  The Village has five days to reply to such a request.